Professor Stephanie Hemelryk-Donald Inaugural Lecture

06 FEB
 posted by

The Lincoln Institute for Advanced Studies is delighted to announce our next inaugural lecture of Professor Stephanie Hemelryk-Donald, ‘From the Long March to the Yellow Brick Road to the Big Walk. A scholarly adventure through childhood, world cinema and migrancy’ taking place on Thursday 6th February 2020.

“Mobility and migration underpin the great story of humanity and the stories of individual humans, their kinship groups, their societies and their cultures. Walking in West Yorkshire, I find myself at a place marked by a bench and a hamlet of ruined dwellings. The guidebook simply says that Piper Holes was inhabited until the 20th century. What happened? Where did they go? Whatever the story, it resonates with all those moments of excited or agonised decision. We have to leave now, we have to leave everything, there is no place like home here, not now, perhaps never again. People move, and of course, their children (usually) move with them. Sometimes the children move on their own. In this lecture I use examples world cinema to suggest a narrative of childhood in suspension. I draw on the insights of children who have worked alongside me in research and discuss how child migrants forge pathways for adults as settlers, as migrants and as refugees.”

Registration for this event opens at 6:00pm and the lecture commences at 6:30pm followed by a buffet and drinks at 7:30pm.

This event is free to attend and booking is highly recommended.

To register, please visit: lncn.ac/uv